Thursday, June 2, 2011

Ya Just Never Know

I've been a runner thanks to a former deacon, Major Jerry Sweptson, who showed up at my door one early Saturday morning over 20 years ago with a new pair of Asics running shoes and said let's go. I made it as far as about a football field when gasping for breath from this over-weight, under-fit body I yelled, "I'm done". I kept at it and a couple of months later I entered my first 5K. Later it was Ed Leaf who trained me for my first of nine marathons that told me NEVER run outdoors with head phones and now I know why.

It wasn't a very good day for Robert Jones also an avid runner. He was up early, dressed, running shoes laced, and headphones on listening to his favorite music on a South Carolina beach. He never knew what hit him because he never heard it coming. It seems that a small plane had to make an emergency landing on the same beach where Mr. Jones was running, and was struck from behind and killed.

As sad and as tragic as this story is, it is also a great reminder of how short and fragile life can be. I'm fairly sure that when Mr. Jones went out for his morning run his death by a very low flying aircraft wasn't even on his mind. Actually, I think I do know what might have been on his mind. He was probably thinking about his little girl's third birthday party later that day. The cake, the presents, the giggles of ten other little girls that would fill their house that afternoon. But, unfortunately, that isn't how the day ended.

Summer is just around the corner, and many of you are making plans for family vacations, trips to the beach or shore, outings to theme parks, etc. We all make plans for tomorrow, including starting a relationship with God. But what if there is no tomorrow for you? Make every day that God gives to you a day of rejoicing. Live each day as though it might be your last. None of us have a guarantee for tomorrow. Use your day wisely.

Just sayin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment