Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I got in but I couldn't get out.

I’m training for my second of five triathlons this season. I normally train and compete in a sleeveless wetsuit for the swim part. I recently found out that the water temperature for the swim portion for my next triathlon is going to be in the mid 60’s, and that, my friends, is a wee bit chilly for this body. So for Father’s Day, which is just around the corner, my gift to myself from Donna was a black Xterra, full-sleeved, Vortex 4 wetsuit.

Not knowing how it would fit, I bought two in different sizes; depending if I want a snug race fit or a regular fit.
The other morning after Donna left for work I decided to try on the one with the race fit. It went on with minimal difficulty; after all I am used to getting into a triathlon wetsuit. It zipped up fairly easy. It was definitely snug, but I had good flexibility in the shoulders. It looked good and felt good. It was a keeper. And then...

I don’t know what happened and I can’t explain it, but for the life of me I could not get the wetsuit off. No pun intended, but I’m home alone. There’s no one around to help. I’m sweating profusely and this zipper isn’t budging. I pull up on the cord. I pull down on the cord. This puppy ain’t moving. Idea! Water to loosen it up. I head for the shower. First I try cold water, then I try warm water, and then I try hot water. Still stuck. Idea! I try shampoo. I try body wash. I even try conditioner. Sorry Charlie. Idea! I’ll call the company. They’re in Miramar, California. Surely this has happened before. It’s 7:45 a.m. here. That’s not going to work either. Idea! WD-40. I soon discovered that the snug race fit doesn’t allow for your arms and hands to assume the kind of position that can accommodate a can of WD-40 and the long red “never lose again” straw. The sweat is poring down my face. My face is red. I’m getting really hot.

I’m beginning to wonder if this brand new black Xterra Vortex 4 full-sleeved wetsuit is going to become a do-it-yourself body bag for the Cecil County Coroner’s office.

But wait, another idea….prayer. Duh. So I pray: “Oh God, please help me out of this situation that I got myself into. I need a way of escape according to 1 Corinthians 10:13.” (Ok, so it’s a little out of context, but hey I’m desperate). I arch my back as much as I can and pull up and down on the cord 10 or 15 more times, and as quickly as it zipped up, it zipped down. I was finally free from the black Xterra full sleeved Vortex 4 body bag.

If God can answer my prayer of escape from my situation, I can only imagine when it comes to the time when I am facing a real temptation, how quickly He will once again provide a way of escape, not only for me, but for you too.

Just Sayin…..

1 comment:

  1. I am seriously right there with you, waiting to see if you'll make it out alive!!! (I had a clue to the end of the story as I am just now reading 'older posts'...but I'm just sayin'...ya had me there! Great writing, Alan.

    ReplyDelete